Friday, July 3, 2009

Sunny, Summery June......NOT

So, the "NOT" might be so '90s, but the weather has been more like Armageddon. I only remember a few days that the sun was shining and it was incredibly disappointing! It rained nearly every day, or at least threatened. I hear that July is going to be just as cheerful. Big bummer. Those beach days are not going to be as often as we had hoped. The day that we dropped everything and went to the beach, I forgot my camera! Another bummer.

But, the month of June wasn't a total loss! Our family enjoyed a visit from Frank, the turtle. Frank was taunting death one evening when Steve was driving home. Steve rescued Frank from the middle of the road and brought him to visit fair Farmington. The kids loved Frank but, alas, Frank did not love the kids. Frank has obviously lived a treacherous existence, as he is missing his front left leg. Frank toddled around the deck, fell of the side, and hid in some tall grass where he did not move for more than 24 hours. When we were finally convinced that he had met his demise, I blew on Frank's face and he moved. The next day he was gone....I mean, literally, he wasn't there anymore. I'm pretty sure he wandered down to the stream behind our house. That or he was eaten by a large creature (a liger, perhaps?). Anyway, Frank will always be remembered.

Then, of course, it was bike week in Laconia, NH. Each year we see hundreds of bikers headed up north to Weir's beach and Laconia to celebrate in their wild, drunken way. I have been encouraged to never attend this festivity by some good sources. So, naturally, Steve celebrated bike week by riding "the hogs".

Anyway, you will never guess what else happened! Amazingly, we had a visit from two extra super superheroes. I wish Emma and Lauren had been here to see them, I think they would have gotten along really well.
Another really really fabulous thing that happened this month is that my brother Michael put some crown molding up on the main floor! Steve and I helped a little, too. It looks great and it hasn't even been painted yet! It was fun to see Michael work his magic and teach Steve and I some tricks of the trade. He used to work for a company that installed molding in luxury homes and he also worked in the millwork section of Home Depot. So basically, he has seen both sides and knew what would be a good value and what would work. Of course, I didn't follow all of his advice, which was to use the larger molding....but I just thought that the smaller molding was a better scale for our small home. I am hoping to get our bedroom done next week :) I don't know if Michael knows this yet, but I am sure he likes surprises, hehe....


Emma finished up her first grade year and was able to have a fun field trip where she was able to feel starfish and other marine wildlife, wade in some water in her new water shoes, enjoy times with her class and her wonderful teacher, Mrs. Merriman, and make wonderful memories. It was really too bad that it was so cloudy but the rain held off until they made it back to the bus!
Tonight, Steve is in Utah for his brother Gary's engagement party so we are celebrating the 4th without him. Still, we will try to have some fun by heading to Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth to celebrate like the NH colonists. Then, tomorrow night we are having a BBQ with a bike parade and some fireworks. Should be a great day!

No comments: