Monday, December 22, 2008

A Winter Wonderland

NOTE: The comments were written prior to uploading photos. Please disregard any comments regarding photos not being uploaded.....

First of all, sorry for the delay in the new post. My greatest apologies to Matt Dimock...you will probably find this one boring, too. You see, ever since I stopped spending 20 hours per week on the PC for school I have been boycotting even turning the beast on. I use the laptop for quick 10 or 15 minute checks of my email before darting off. My pictures all need to be downloaded to the PC for upload onto the Blog. Still, I am not marching all the way upstairs (it's like 15 steps!), waiting the 5 minutes for the dinosaur to turn on and missing out on quality holiday time. Yep, I couldn't be happier. I don't want to make any changes to the computer until I take my Comps in February...I would absolutely freak if I lost all of my files. Yes, I do keep backups, but I have an awesome system that would be seriously disrupted if the computer was replaced at this stage of the game.

At any rate, you deserve an update on our family's life. Listen to this soap opera script:

Thursday: Emma's Birthday party, I do have photos on the camera that can be uploaded later. Suffice it to say that we had a grand party, complete with "Pin the Nose on the Emma."

Friday: Disastrous ice storm, power outage, complete with loss of heating source...until I discovered that our gas fireplace actually works without electricity. That night we had the Petersons spend the night on our floor to keep toasty warm at 72 degrees compared to their house that was in the 40s! At one point, we had 16 people here and were awaiting the next 6 friends when the power came back on (this was after 2 days without power). I still can't believe that the Titus family braved the night at their home with temps outside in the single digits!
We finally had a movie party in the van on Saturday since the kids were feeling some cabin fever.

Saturday: We enjoyed the warmth of the fireplace and delicious food provided by the Titus' dutch oven! Wow, we need power outages more often to get that kind of gourmet!

A nice busy week followed by another weekend destroyed by showstopping snow!

Friday: Steve's work party was cancelled and he was able to attend my work party with me. The roads were pretty bad and it took us twice as long to get there. I don't know why, but we were the only car traveling southbound for miles! Maybe the other drivers knew something we didn't ..... By the way, I was crowned the "Cookie Queen" for the third straight year. No official contest this year because the ice storm made it almost impossible for all of the cookies to be completed on time but one of the physicians announced that he liked mine the best so I got to keep my title for yet another year! Woohoo! I wore my crown the rest of the night. Really, I did wear it for a few minutes just to rub it in.

Saturday and Sunday: The snow dumped, church was cancelled, and shovelling was a joy. I shoveled in the morning on Sunday for an hour, Jeff Titus snow-blowed at about noon, and Steve and I shoveled that night for another hour. Of course, life wouldn't be complete without another 45 minutes of shoveling this morning. Hooray! NOT! (I felt like adding a throw-back to the 90s). I had to work this morning and tomorrow, so that is just an added bonus.

So, here I am, baking bread at midnight to complete my coworkers' gifts. Yeah. I did actually bake 12 loaves on Friday for the party but it seemed too overwhelming to carry them out of the house and into the restaurant during a white-out. I'm paying for that choice today. Only 4 more to go!

Okay, I'm going to sign off since I have a bit of a headache and I am sure that I have made more than my fair share of grammatical errors. Please cut me some slack....it would certainly be in the holiday spirit!

No comments: